1/20/2009

Another post-flood update

I haven't abandoned my blog, I just don't have an office I can be in for more than a few minutes: the new wool carpet is still toxic and I feel sick within moments of entering the room. Let this be a lesson for those of us who are sensitive to chemicals and those who want to avoid toxic VOC's: just because a product is made from a natural substance, it doesn't mean that you have a natural, non-toxic product by the time the manufacturing process is over. 100% pure wool carpet is often treated with a very strong moth-repellent and it's not a healthy carpet to have in your home. Who knew.

We originally picked Natures' Carpet ( a truly non-toxic carpet), but the dye lots didn't match, so the carpet person "upgraded" us to another line of carpets that were supposed to be non-toxic. Mind the upgrade, folks. Mind the distributor who tells you that even though you can't look this carpet up online that it is indeed non-toxic.

I want to get back to my art, blogging and reading blogs, but the carpet fumes are just too much. I'm trying to figure out if we can get another carpet or fix this problem somehow. Fans and open windows and air purifiers aren't enough. The carpet cleaning guy doesn't think that a steam cleaning will eliminate the problem. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I want my office back!

9 comments:

rachelcreative said...

How frustrating and awful for you.

No suggestions I'm afraid other than to rip it out and have a bare floor!

Hope there's something that can be done. Will the supplier take it back as not fit for purpose and give you what you actually wanted in the first place?

Lisa Moon said...

Oooh, helpful Health Pain! No habla Espanol!

Anyway, if the distributor insisted it was natural, I would be might pissed that it is NOT and have some words for them! Which I'm sure you do/have...

And as rachelcreative said, what can you do but rip it up?

How did this person figure it was an 'upgrade'?! If they made that 'executive decision' then it's NOT your fault NOR what you ordered... especially since you were *specifically* requiring something all natural and non-toxic.

Grr, I'm so mad for you! That is just all kinds of wrong.

Wishing you TONS of luck and success in fixing this PRONTO.

Cusp said...

Did you try the cleaner stuff I mentioned ?? Maybe the chemicals are too ingrained to clean out. Can you not go back to suppliers and say you specifically asked for something natural and they 'upgraded' without consultation. At least then maybe you could get money back.

Donimo said...

I do think it needs to come out. Argh! All the furniture is on top of it. but my building is concrete and I want warmth, so I might try to get the nature's carpet in here. I have laminate elsewhere and it's a bit cold (and more expensive). The complicating thing with this carpet is that the insurance paid for part of it and we topped up the rest. I just don't know who pays for this. I have called the insurer and am waiting for her to get back to me with an answer.

Cusp: we haven't done the power cleaning because the carpet cleaner guy thought that it was unlikely that cleaning would remove the chemicals. We might try it if we can claim the expense. Now if I could actually get a call back on this...

Thanks for the support, everybody!

Donimo said...

Lisa: I removed the link written in Spanish because it was merely an ad.

hobbz said...

I'm sooo sorry to hear about the carpet situation especially after you specifically trie to get a NON-TOXIC product. How frustrated you must be...know that I'm thinking of you and sending good health vibes your way!
take care of YOU!

greenwords said...

Oh no! That must have been exceptionally disappointing. I have no idea what the solution is, other than raising merry hell until the supplier replaces it as penalty for selling you a product that doesn't do what it's meant to. Namely, be a non-toxic floor covering.

Here's hoping you are able to enter your own office again very soon...

Penelope said...

I would think that since the problem was caused by the person who put in the carpet "upgrading" without your permission and assuring you (hopefully in writing as well as verbally?) that it wouldn't be a problem, they'd be the ones responsible for removing and replacing. If you don't trust them, I would still expect that they'd be responsible for the costs involved.

Donimo said...

Thanks, everyone, for your encouraging words. We have to get the carpets steam cleaned before the insurance agent will do anything more, so that happens tomorrow. Too bad we have three desks, one big bookshelf and two metal filing cabinets in the office that have to be cleared out. Oy.

Panelope: we gave the go-ahead for the upgrade, but that was based on being told that the new carpet wuold be just as non-toxic. the complicated thing is that insurance paid for part of it and then we paid almost $700 on top of it to get wool. If we had paid the full lot, i would have had these carpets ripped out by now; unfortunately, we have to deal with the insurer on this. Slowwwwwwwwwwww. Meanwhile, I get another flu while we wait because I'm sure my immune system is compromised by this stuff.

The saga continues...