10/28/2008

Black water, blue water













I don't usually do diary-type entries, but I've been absent due to unusual circumstances and I think a newsy post is in order. On October 9th, my apartment flooded with sewage or "black water," as they poetically call it in the restoration biz. By evening, the apartment was dismantled and I was in a hotel. Carpets were torn out, flooring was stripped off and walls were about to be cut out. The photo above is what's left of my kitchen, with the floor partially torn out and a big dehumidifier buzzing away. What the photo doesn't show is that there is no longer a ceiling or that most of the walls and cupboards are marked with blue tape which means they will have to be removed and thrown away.

Just one photo hardly does it justice: you can't see my front yard, torn up by service vehicles; you can't see the pile of big, black garbage bags full of contaminated household items and, thankfully, you can't see the scene of the ghastly crime: the bathroom. But what you can see is my new front yard, my new view and my dog's new park:






























From dark sludge and destruction, to blue water and boats. To borrow from The Talking Heads: I ask myself, "Well, how did I get here?" Two words: house insurance. For at least a month, I will be staying in a hotel that is a few feet away from Vancouver's beautiful seawall and that is surrounded by million dollar condos. Let's just say this isn't my usual neighbourhood (or tax bracket). But insurance covers living costs and here I am, with green parks, dog beaches and waterfront cafes.*

It's a challenge to live away from all the things I have in my home that make it a little easier to manage living with chronic pain, so hotel life isn't simple; however, I've had a lot of sunshine and great times playing ball with the dog at the local parks; I've had sunset rides on the small ferry that departs just a few metres from the hotel's front door and I have moments where I feel like I'm on holiday. I'm not sleeping well and am quite disorganized, but the view is swell. I have to count my blessings.

So, shit happens, and now I'm on a strange psuedo-vacation. I might not be up for posting or doing art, but I'm practicing the art of going with the flow.




*Blogger won't allow me to post with an accent on the "e." How provincial. Oops, I must go with the flow...

11 comments:

rachelcreative said...

Uggg I can't imagine what it must be like to deal with this lush hotel accommodation or not. It's great to have a lovely refuge but it's not the same.

I hope you're back in your own place as soon as possible and in the meantime that life is kind to you!

Donimo said...

Thanks, Rachel. I don't think we'll be back in the house till the end of November. Luckily, the insurance agent is giving us an extra week at the hotel so that we can "bake out" (crank up the heat for a few days and then open the windows for a few)the fumes from all the new glue, flooring, paint and carpet. I did want to change things up a bit in the house, but I was thinking new art for the walls and that sort of thing!

I don't mind staying here for a few more weeks. Did I mention twice weekly maid service? :)

hobbz said...

Glad to see that you're trying to keep a positive attitude with all the craziness in your life right now. There's no point fighting it, because you only hurt yourself. Enjoy the "high life" for awhile! You've earned it! lol

Donimo said...

Thanks, Hobbz. I was thinking that, given that I am here because of a sewage flood, I should use some other maxim. "Going with the flow" might not be so apt. But anyway, I'm taking in all the good stuff and trying to be patient with everything including contractors who do things wrong and incomplete paperwork etc. If I can get outside and look at the water every day, I should be okay.

seahorse said...

You have certainly earned this and I hope it's going well. Not having your own bed, your own arrangement of cushions, all those small things that matter, must be hard but hey new beds and new cushions can be shaped - even hotel ones...enjoy it!

Cusp said...

Must be very hard in some ways without all your own stuff about you but you seem to be making the best of a difficult situation. More power to you.

Maybe you'll meet some rich millionaire whilst you're in such environs and never have to return. Chronic holiday on a yacht, with champagne, a diamond encrusted pill box and silk sheets ...oh and a posh collar for the dog ;0)

Donimo said...

Seahorse: and new hotel beds can have four inches of foam added to them to make them soft enough. I've added cushions to the office chair and a phone book under my feet while at the desk. It's still harder on my body here, but I've made some modifications. This is the art of disability.

Cusp: someone's going to buy me the two-story penthouse, ocean view condo that they are just sprucing up in the building next door. I'm sure of it. And I'll fly everyone here and we can have a gathering on the deck and toast our very good fortune at having met so many cool crips online.

Katrin said...

Oh goodness. Not really sure what else to say. Hope that the dog is having fun in the parks.

Cusp said...

Tell me when the part is and I'll book my flight :-)

Cusp said...

Sorry that should have been 'party' !!!!!

Kimberley said...

Oh no! I know this is an older post, but I just came across your blog.

I hope everythign worked out for you in the end!